Why plant a Hedge There are many benefits in using a hedge as a garden boundary:
- they provide shelter and reduce wind strength better than a solid barrier;
- a prickly hedge is recognised as a good security barrier;
- add beauty and interest from seasonal changes;
- good for wildlife providing food and shelter for insects, birds and mammals;
- have better weather-resistance than fences;
- cheaper to buy and maintain than most fencing; and
- are certainly long-lived as hedges can last hundreds of years!